For the eighth year in a row, the Durango Department of Public Works was recognized for water fluoridation excellence. The Water Treatment Division was given the following awards:
- Award of Excellence for Outstanding Performance in the Practice of Water Fluoridation presented by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment Oral Health Unit.
- Colorado Water Fluoridation Excellence Award for providing high quality water fluoridation for 12 consecutive months in 2020 representing a high level of operator care and accomplishment.
“The Water Treatment Division puts a premium on health, safety and quality of life as affected by consistently high-quality water production,” said Allison Baker, Durango Public Works Director. “This is the eighth year in a row that they have been recognized for their efforts.”
Community water fluoridation provides a public health benefit that can be accessed by every member of the community. Community water fluoridation is:
- Safe — at optimal levels, there is no scientifically peer-reviewed credible evidence of a link between fluoride and any adverse health effects. Over 100 reputable organizations support community water fluoridation including the American Medical Association, American Pediatrics Association, The American Water Works Association and many more.
- Beneficial — Fluoridation prevents at least 25% of tooth decay in children and adults throughout their lifespan.
- Cost Effective — Communities that invest $1 per person per ear in optimally fluoridated water save their population approximately $32 per person per year in averted dental costs. This equates to approximately $1.1 million in savings to our community.
The City of Durango Utilities Department is 1 of 15 total facilities to receive both of these awards for the year 2020. These awards are typically given two years after the year of record. Visit the Durango Water Treatment Division website for more information on the water treatment process.